KDE 4.1 beta migration
* Even I am on much needed unofficial vacation because of job transition (more on this later when its done!) and even after enough playing with Kavin, I had enough time to switch to KDE 4.1 beta (4.0.80). Here are my some points and experiences which may help you in migration.
* I assume that you are running Debian 😉
* First, follow, ana’s detailed help to switch to KDE 4.1 beta.
* Panel can be resized and configure now. That sliders are so sweet. But, if you find that your KDE desktop becomes ‘white’ as Gandalf the white, do following:
mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc.OLDANDHATED
mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc.OLDANDHATED
Thanks to pinotree for help!
* kmail and friends (kontact..) will not be migrated properly, as they are using .kde, just cp -r .kde/share/apps to .kde4/share/apps will help.
* I can find everything in kontact works perfect after migration. You just need to reconfigure your pop/smtp settings. I am figuring out why it wasn’t happen. Also, kaddressbook is missing all email address, but that should not be big issue as I have backup using Gmail’s web addressbook.